Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Unbelievable Opportunity...


This week the international Renovare conference, otherwise known as "The Jesus Way: recovering the lost content of discipleship" was being held in San Antonio. It has been in the planning stages for the last two years, and when I was given the opportunity to work there, I snapped it up. The work was actually fun...besides putting together the handouts, I was asked to welcome people as they arrived for each general session. It was facinating to talk to people from all parts of the world, as well as getting to shake hands with all of the more than eighty speakers, many of which are authors I've read over the years. The main speakers were four "spiritual giants"...Eugene Peterson (author of "The Message"), Dallas Willard (author and professor), Richard J. Foster (author and editor of "The Life with God Bible") and John Ortberg (Pastor and author). One of my favorite speakers was Chris Webb, the president of Renovare. He's from England and was a fabulous speaker. I went to one of his sessions that was limited to 200 people. When I got there, people were crowding into the room to hear him. Security came and closed off the room, but because I was already in, I sat in the only space available...behind the podium, right at his feet. It reminded me of how people used to sit at the feet of Jesus to hear him teach. ( I know....he was good, but definately not Jesus!)




I also attended some workshops that dealt with Children's Ministries. One of my favorites was on puppeteering...we were given the opportunity to work with some of the puppets and I loved it! I think that may be my next big venture, although I know they're expensive so it may not happen real soon!






1 comment:

Stacey said...

I have always thought it would be fun to work with puppets! I took a workshop kind of like that a few years ago and love it. You can always just start small with your puppet friends :)