Thursday, August 28, 2008

Readjusting to Life in Texas...

Well, it's been almost two weeks since I got home from Illinois and although I've started several blog entries, I gave up because nothing seemed important enough to write. Every night I come home and check my kids' blogs and then get kind of melancholy because I feel so far away.

In spite of all that, things are going really well here. It was good to get back to Oak Hills and the timing was perfect because we're starting a nine month series which studies the Bible. Everyone will be reading "The Story", which is the Bible written in novel form. We will be hearing it from Max and our new pastor, Randy Frazee, as well as related studies in both our Bible Fellowships and Life Groups. Even the kids will be studing their own lesson in the kids version of "The Story"...it's an all church event and you can read about it at http://www.thestorynow.net/

Speaking of the kids, the fall classes began last Sunday and I'm teaching first grade this year. I was totally unprepared for the 76 kids that showed up on Sunday! We were scrambling for materials as well as chairs. Last night I went to a leadership meeting where a small group of us discussed this "problem"... it seems we're seeing this amazing growth throughout the entire church, which is a good thing, except for dealing w/ the growth issues.

Also, the school year started off with a bang! I've been so busy with my lesson plans and rounding up supplies that the first week flew by! This year, they changed my position...believe it or not I'm the new Encino Park art teacher. I do think I'm going to enjoy it, it's just that I was so unprepared for the change. I had heard rumors last year, but the "official" word didn't get to me until I went back last week. Oh well...I'm sure it will make for an exciting year ~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Mom! I had no idea they were thinking about making you an art teacher! I'm sure that's a huge change for you - you'll be great at it though! Will you miss doing the reading stuff though? The stuff you're doing at church looks REALLY cool - is "The Story" something that Max put together, or is it a book someone else did? Glad you are adjusting to life back in TX. We miss you too! :)