Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

This was a day I was not looking forward to...my first Mother's Day without any of my family (except Larry of course!). It was not only my girls that I was missing, but it was also the first year I hadn't been with my own mom...ever! At any rate, it turned out to be a much better day than I expected...


I had planned a really special Mother's Day activity for my Sunday School class. In addition to our Bible story about Hannah and Samuel, the children made cards for their mothers and put together vases of artificial flowers in colored sand and then tied them with ribbon for gifts. The moms loved them!


Then, at church, because Max was at his daughter's college graduation, we had a special speaker. David Robinson, an ex-Spurs player, who is also a three time Olympic medal winner as well as an Allstar MVP, presented the message. Since I'm not exactly a basketball fanatic, I wasn't really all that excited about it...boy was I surprised! I guess he's quite a man of faith, teaching the men's Bible study at church each week as well as working with our youth and many other methods of sharing his faith in the San Antonio area. His message was very inspiring.


Then we headed up to the Hill Country where we ate brunch at a restaurant seated outside next to a little pond. It was wonderful.


After an afternoon walking through antique shops and visiting a small craft fair, we headed home on a back road in the country. I had just shut my eyes when I heard Larry yell "That's a zebra!" He pulled over to the side of the road and sure enough, there was a ranch with zebra grazing! I took my camera and walked through the open gate (yes, there were cattle guards to keep the zebra from escaping) so I could take a picture. The zebra didn't seem to mind me so I wasn't scared...I stopped several times to give him time to get used to me. Anyway, it was the best part of my day!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I cant believe you got out with the zebra!!! I am glad you had a good mother's day. We missed you here!